Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fragments


The finale of Reader Appreciation Week


I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped make Reader Appreciation week such a success. I'm really happy with the kind of responses I've been getting, and I'm hoping you all have been happy with the kinds of captions I've been posting. As I said before, I wanted to try to cover a little bit on everything in terms of the types of captions and scenarios I wrote about, and I think I was pretty successful in that regard. If I failed to touch on your favorite type of caption, let me know down in the comments what you'd like to see more of and I'll try to get to as many of them as possible in the future.

As for this caption, I'm sorry if you were hoping for something a little more light-hearted or sexy to be my final post of the week, but those of you who have been reading my work for long enough shouldn't be too surprised at the kind of caption this ended up being.

I'm coming to the end of my captioning career. I'm sure most of you have already realized this based on how infrequently I've been updating these past few months. I'm not calling it quits just yet, but the urge to write tg captions of almost any kind is pretty much gone. This week was about doing one final push to see if writing a whole bunch of captions in a row would spark that old creative energy, and it definitely worked, but not as much as I hoped it would. This just isn't something I see myself doing in the long term.

As I was reflecting back over my captioning experience I realized how odd it was that despite sharing so many of my thoughts and fantasies, you all know about as much about my real life as the people I meet with everyday day know about what I do here. This caption came out of the realization that the only things we really know about each other are what is willingly shared, and very few people will ever get more than just a passing glimpse of who we really are (or at least how we see ourselves). I know this isn't going to be one of my more popular captions, but at this stage in my captioning career, I really don't care. I love how this one turned out, and I hope a few of you can relate to it as well, or at least appreciate what it's trying to say.

So for one last time this week, I want to say thank you to all of my readers. I don't know how much longer I'll continue to post new material, but I want you to know that your support has meant the world to me. This was the first place where I was able to see that my writing was actually enjoyed by other people. I don't think I'll ever be able to express how powerful that feeling is, but nevertheless I will always be thankful to all of you for giving it to me. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I must admit it would be sad to see you completely gone from captioning: It seems a lot of regular captioners have been stepping away in the past few months. However, you must do as you must and I'll enjoy what what you do until you decide it's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, nothing is set in stone yet as I'm still deciding what I want to do, but I'll let everyone know if/when I decide to walk away.

      Delete
  2. Well this one was a little different. You asked what we'd like to see more of and honestly I wouldn't mind seeing another Kylie caption. I loved those and thought they were pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I might see if I can bring her back in the near future.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all the captions! - Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a shock to read this. Your captions are the best of all this means the choice of the picture as well as the caption text. I have say that I will miss your work.
    So... all I can do is to thank you for your magnificent captions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, it's always great to hear people like what I'm doing. Making all of these captions has truly been a pleasure.

      Delete