Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Discussion of Seven and 300 Followers!

This blog's hit a new milestone, and what better way to celebrate than with a "text only" post?


First off, a huge thank you to all of you who read this blog and make it such an awesome place to post my work. I seriously would not be here without you. I will be making an actual celebratory caption to commemorate this milestone once I have the time (hopefully in the next couple of days) but I didn't want to wait to express my gratitiude to all of you lovely readers.

Now on a completely unrelated note, let's talk about Seven.

I've been getting a lot of formspring requests and comments about Seven recently, and I've realized there are a couple of things I need to clear up. But first, here's a quick run through of the formspring:

Where is LUST? I cannot find her anywhere!

Anger hates being called Wrath, it pisses her off. By the way, where's Lust?

There were 8 Deadly Sins originally, of which Vainglory was the 8th, so will you include her, Rauk?


 I've mentioned this several times before, but hopefully this will be the last. 

I have NOT written all of Seven yet.

Currently posted are Envy, Wrath, Sloth, and Gluttony.
Still to come are Pride, Greed, and Lust.

So the reason you can't find Lust is because I have not written her yet. But don't lose hope! She will be coming eventually. And should you somehow miss her the first time around I will probably be making another post containing every part of the series, and I'll probably make a permanent page on this blog for it as well. So please have patience dear readers, the best of this series is yet to come.

Onto the next point, Anger vs. Wrath. Anger is an emotion, not a sin. Holding on to that emotion and using it to lash out at others or yourself is. That's why I called her "Wrath" instead of "Anger."

And now for the final point. Yes there originally were more than seven deadly sins. You could make the argument for there being upwards of nine at any one time, but there are actually even more than that depending on the source you use (if you are really curious Wikipedia has a good overview of the history of the deadly sins).

But for the purposes of this series I am using the currently accepted seven under modern Christianity of: Envy, Wrath, Sloth, Gluttony, Pride, Greed, and Lust.

If "insert various sin here" is not on the above list, I'm not including it (although I'm sure it would make a great caption, I just don't have the time).

Okay, I think that covers everything. If I missed anything or if you have another question feel free to leave a comment or throw it in the formspring box and I'll get back to you.

Keep an eye out for a "300 followers" caption in the next couple of days, and thanks again for taking the time to check out my blog.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching 300 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the followers Rauk! A well deserved reward indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rauk -

    Perhaps if folks want a additional Sin they should ask if you would accept a guest cap from them presenting said sin which is not on your list and then go create the caption and share it with you and if you like it you might post it for us all. Or they might just go create their own page to post the caption and share it with us all instead of pestering you to create what you have already said will only contain the parts you wish to make. Just my thoughts on this issue. Personally I am fine with however it all happens .. and just enjoy reading what I find posted on the sites I do actually get time to check. Yours I do enjoy thoroughly Rauk.

    - Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with people creating their own additional sins, although I'm not sure if I would post them here or not. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying my caps.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Monica. I am Mr. Enigma Mystery, the FATHER of the 7-originally 8-Deadly Sins. The original arrangement
    went like this: Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Anger, Envy, Pride, Vainglory. Howwever, Vainglory died in a car accident when trying to do the Christmas shopping, so I now have the new line-up of: Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Sloth,Anger, Pride and Envy. Rauk, you do my daughters
    proud. Why, Sloth even got out of bed without being asked this morning, gazed longingly at the picture depicting Sloth, and said, "I love it. Do you think the nice man would sell it to me, daddy?" She calls you "the nice man" because she can't pronounce your name. So what do you say? Would you be willing to sell your caption of Sloth to her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I'm not sure what I would be selling, as I post all of my work here, free for anyone who likes it to download and save for themselves.

      Delete
  5. Ra-ook (I believe that's how you pronounce your name), what inspired you to do a series about The 7 Deadly Sins? I am curious. Also, have you ever considered making
    photo-series like Annabelle Raven Hyde does? Her "The
    Pageant" was brilliant, you must admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's pretty much how you pronounce it, although it's one syllable (think of it as rhyming with fluke or Luke).

      As for my inspiration, it started when I found the image I used for the intro to the series (the caption actually titled "Seven"). I had originally just planned to do a quick series, maybe two or three panels, talking about what happens when you break a man by turning him into a woman. That led to the idea of going with something about embracing a life of sin, and how the darkness corrupted her. But I couldn't decide with what direction I wanted to go in with her fall from grace. That's when I came up with the idea of taking a bunch of different directions at once, which led me to choosing to use the seven deadly sins as a template. It was when I was writing "Envy" that I thought to use this as an opportunity to reflect on the tg community and myself in a less than positive light.

      As for doing a photoseries, I won't say I'll never do one, but I have no plans for the immediate future. I tend to get bored with longer series, which is why you see so many single panel captions from me. Seven was a nice compromise as it allows me to writing isolated stories, that are all tied to together by a single narrative theme. I may move to some longer pieces in the future, but I doubt I'll get to doing anything as long and in-depth as "The Pageant" anytime soon.

      Delete